Fortress and the Karosta canal were the first objects built in the whole massive military complex of Karosta.
In the end of 19th century forts and coastline fortifications with artillery defense were built in many places – Sveaborg island, forts along the Gulf of Finland, Kronstadt, Osovetz (now territory of Poland), chain of Bukovine and Bessarabian fortifications along Austrohungarian border.
Forts of Liepaja are similar to fort Port-Artur in the far east of Russia. Karosta fortifications were built from 1893 to 1906, work lead by author of the project, major-general Ivan Mc-Donald. Some parts of fortifications were connected by canals and narrow-gauge railway. There were 140 warships and 30 submarines for the Liepaja navy fleet.
The Northern Forts are a part of Liepāja’s fortress. The fortress was built at the end of the 19th century and at the beginning of 20th century to provide the protection of Liepāja’s naval base in case of enemy attack. The line of the outer fortification system surrounded the whole city.
We offer an opportunity to take a guided tour of the Northern Forts of the Naval Port fortress and see underground labyrinths by torchlight. Approximate duration 1.5 hour.
The tour can be arranged by prior request by phone +371 26369470.
25 EUR from the group
Excursions are available in ENG, RUS, DE, LT
TOUR GUIDE SERVICES FOR THE NAVAL PORT AND LIEPĀJA
We offer tour guide services for the Naval Port and Liepāja. The bicycle excursions are also available. Prior request by phone +371 26369470.